Home Greece Legalities


Life is a promise, fulfill it.

Mother Teresa

PDF  | Print |

Greece wedding legalities

Residency period

The authorities don't state any minimum stay for couples wishing to marry in Greece.

Applying for a marriage licence

Applications for a marriage licence are made to the local Municipality or Town Hall. The application procedure normally takes 8 days so you will need to factor in time for this (so not ideal for a instant wedding).

An application form is completed and your documents checked. Some islands/ authorities require your documents to be sent in advance of you arriving.

Essential documents:

* Passport

* Full Birth Certificate

* Certificate of No Impediment (CNI)

For details of how to get a CNI in the UK - see our Paperwork Explained section.

For Greek weddings you must marry within 3 months of the CNI being issued (usually it's a year). On production of the CNI issued by the UK Registrar, the British Consulate in Greece will issue the equivalent Greek document.

Additional documents - where relevant:

* Baptism certificate (for church wedding)

* Divorce or death certificate if widowed

* Deed Poll in the event of a name change

* If you are adopted you may require proof of this.


Documents (apart from passport) must be officially legalised with an Apostille or stamp. This is done in the UK - see Paperwork Explained for more details.

They then need to be translated into Greek either by the Greek Consulate in Britain or Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens. Your wedding planner or hotel should be able to organise this for you. See the contacts page for translators in the UK who are authorised to do this.

Once the documents have been translated, they may then need to be authenticated.

Don't forget to take all copies of the documents with you to Greece, if some haven't already been requested before your arrival.

When the licence is ready you need to both collect it in person. Take your passport with you.

After the wedding

* Your marriage certificate is usually sent on to your home address once its been processed (usually a few days).

* After the wedding you are required to declare your marriage at the local registry office, usually within office hours and within 40 days (so bear this in mind if you are marrying over a weekend and were hoping for a quick exit!).


* In 2009 the associated fees for a wedding application in Greece are approx £200. This is usually payable in cash on the day of application.

For more information:

* If you are having a civil ceremony, contact the Mayor’s Office or the President of town communities where you are having the wedding.

* For a church wedding in Greece, get in touch with the priest or minister of the church where the marriage will be held.